Sunday 31 December 2006

Detained by the Brits

So, Friday was a big mess trying to get into the UK. In all of my travels, I've never had so many problems. I answered the questions like I always do and then, casually mentioned I planned to do some volunteer work while in England and that was my grave mistake. Apparently, I violated paragraph 16 of the Act of 1971, which I looked up on the web and I can't figure out what I "violated." I asked the immigration officers numerous times why I was held and they were very vague, but it was because I wanted to volunteer. I cannot believe that the British persecute museum volunteers!! Four hours of questions, fingerprinting (and some of the ink still won't come off!), and pictures taken. Josh came to pick me up and he was also questioned. I usually try to defend the British for some of their abnormalities, but anymore.

I'm settling now-plan to pick up my British car today or tomorrow. I'm going shopping for a phone today-I don't know where the bus stop is or how to get to city centre, so it should be interesting.

Have a Happy New Year!!