Friday 14 November 2008

Ode to English Names

I've been meaning to blog about this subject for awhile, but keep forgetting. Anyway, most Chinese students pick their English names when they have a foreign teacher during their freshman year. Now, where they come up with their names is beyond me and, boy, are they creative. Josh and I both have Dolphin. Josh has Orange, Seven, and one student wanted his English name to be Copyright, but Josh (wisely) had him pick a different name. I subbed for a freshman class and had Baby McGrady, Wind, and Sword. I don't know if they hear it somewhere or read names in a magazine or book and think it sounds good so that's their name. Some of them are very amusing and it's hard to call them by their name with a straight face. They also have a tendency to change their name often. I finally learn everyone's English names and they tell me that they've changed it. I've been trying to learn my IELTS students' Pingyin names-I pronounce a few their first names correctly and most of their family names. They're determined that I learn them, so I guess I'll keep practicing.

Another thing that amuses me about the students is their curiosity. I guess some people would say that they're nosey, but I think it's more of an interest in learning about foreigners and how we live. At one point during the Halloween party, I glanced around watching my IELTS students. They all know me really well and are super comfortable with me, so they have no problem being curious. Anyway, I had Della and Vincent looking through my kitchen cabinets, Peter had my US phone and was taking pictures with it, Justin was going through my dvds, Sunny and Viola were trying on all of my lotions and perfumes, and my favorite was Philip. I walk into my room and find him reading my deodorant. They don't have deodorant in China (fortunately, they don't smell bad). He didn't know what it was, so he decided to take a close look at it. Again, I don't mind their curiosity in the least, I think it's quite funny.