Sunday 7 December 2008

Grateful

Recently, I was showing some students pictures from home. They wanted to see my "live" Christmas tree from last year. In the same photo album were pictures of my apartment in Wichita. They were amazed that my apartment was just for me. They thought it was so beautiful and that I was so lucky to live there. Granted, I love my apartment, but it is an apartment and just a one-bedroom one at that. However, that's the American mind-set. We're very spoiled. Don't get me wrong, I love my country. I think this is one reason why I enjoy moving abroad. I love experiencing new cultures-even though adapting takes time, but it makes me much more grateful for my own country. Remembering being an American is a privilege and something I should not take for granted so easily. Anyway, I think this China experience is very beneficial for me and reminds me to keep things in perspective.

Being away from home also makes me grateful for all of you in Kansas. I'm very thankful for my mom and grandma who always support me on all my random journeys. They may not understand why, but support me nonetheless. My mom is even flying all the way to China (in less than 2 weeks!) to spend Christmas here. We had planned to go to Paris this year for Christmas, so China was quite the change, but she's looking forward to a new adventure.

It's about 5 weeks before my American holiday and I'm looking forward to it. I'll be back January 12-February 17. It will be nice to have a Western shower (I think that has been my worse living adaption), excited about eating turkey, driving, shopping at Dillard's and Target, blending in, and seeing everyone!