Saturday 6 September 2008

The eternal struggles of a picky eater...

Well, I haven't even been gone 2 weeks and my food struggles are in full force. I knew food would be a problem as did most of you reading this blog. I had planned to become a vegetarian, which I'm not opposed to, but I never came up a solution as to what I would replace chicken with. I miss chicken most ardently. It's here, but it looks questionable and I'm not sure if I know how to make it. I'm going to branch out next week and buy some kind of chicken breast and try to bake it because I'm getting desperate. I'm going through my American food stash way too quick. I'm currently living in a society where noodles and rice are staples-I don't like noodles and I only like my mom's rice. Fortunately, I did learn how to use my little toaster oven-I've made banana bread twice (from the Jiffy boxes I brought-I only have 5 boxes left-so sad). In my defense, I have branched out of my "food bubble." You would be proud. I buy and eat fruit off the street, I have tried numerous foods that I would normally never touch with a 10 foot pole with the hopes that I might like it, and I stand in long "egg lines" to purchase eggs that look far to fresh out of the chicken. I'm grateful that I have a loving mom that is willing to send me $50.00 boxes full of food on top of the 2 packages she has already sent. I've already warned her that she's going to have to bring an extra suitcase full of food when she comes to visit in December.