Monday 1 September 2008

Survived the Chinese hospital! And, my class schedule-

So, we had to get our physicals today-they have to make sure we're 100% healthy before we can get our residency permits. I had a physical in the States before I came, but it wasn't near as extensive as this one. We left early this morning for the Hebei (provence) capital-I don't know the name of the city-it was about 2 hours away. We had to fill out paperwork, get our picture taken, then the fun stuff. I've never had blood drawn (at least not while I was awake), so I was nervous. I did great, but Curtis psyched himself out and had to lie down before they could even take it, Katie did great, Josh started out ok, but then passed out (he said it felt like he was dreaming even though it was only for a matter of seconds), Lindsey started out ok, but they had trouble finding a good vein, but we all made it. Then, we had to have an EKG, sonogram, eye test, full body x-ray, and more. We all passed, so I must be healthy, which is good. They took us for lunch afterward to this lovely hotel that had a huge buffet. I had watermelon, a plum, a banana, and mango jello. I love that they have fruit everywhere at restaurants, I wish we had that more in the States. I'm glad the physical is over and everything went well.

As for my class schedule, I have it really good. I only teach about 10 hours a week, but I have 5 preps each week. Monday-Thursday I have my ELTS (English language testing system or LETLS) classes-I will prepare upper-class engineer majors to go to England to finish their schooling. I will also teach an English culture and history class with these students. And on Friday I have English writing for juniors. My writing class is from 3:00-4:40pm starting September 12 and my ELTS classes are from 7:30-9:20pm starting September 22. So, probably the best time to get a hold of me would be in the evenings (after 7pm Kansas time), which would be the following morning for me.


Hotel Lobby



Josh and Jong