Monday 8 September 2008

First Day of Class

My IETLS classes that were supposed to start September 22 got moved up to today. It went well-the students seem super sweet (I hope they stay that way). I just wanted to "test" them tonight to see where they are with their English. I had them fill out a sheet that asks them hobbies, major, etc. It took them over a half hour to do that, so I'm going to have my work cut for me, but that's why I'm here. A few of them were too cute-I asked him what he had for dinner and he couldn't think of the English words and said he was too nervous to remember. Well...we'll work on it-practice makes perfect. My IELTS classes are smaller-9 students tonight and 12ish tomorrow. I have IETLS 4 days a week. My writing class for juniors has 32 students and starts Friday.

Oh and because I'm clumsy and kind of accident prone-I fell and hurt myself today. My class isn't until 7pm, so I decided to go shopping at Shi Dai this morning. I was taking a cab, so I decided to wear flip flops. It had rained earlier, but wasn't at the time I left. I'm walking along and get to the main square and it's SUPER SLICK and I have no traction with my flip flops. Sure enough, I fall hard on the concrete and I hopped up super quick because it was embarrassing and I didn't want a bunch of students to flock to me. Anyway, I have a big bruise on my back and I think I bruised my tail bone-it's super painful to sit, lie down, and go up stairs (did I mention I live on the 4th floor and there isn't a lift). I'll live, but I'm moving super slow and getting up and down is more trouble than it's worth.

I went to Shi Dai anyway and I'm including some pictures. Shi Dai is pretty cool-they have clothes, bedding, housewares, shoes, etc on the upper floors and the ground floor has electronics, huge meat section, and a grocery store. AND, I made to and from Shi Dai without my picture book. Josh gave me a photo album that's a virtual tour of Baoding. When getting a cab, I've been pointing to the picture and that's how I get places. Well, I pronounce Shi Dai correctly, but getting back to the university hasn't been going well. It's called Hua Dian yi xiao, which is pronounced Huow dien e sheow-I know-what a mess! Anyway, I'm finally picking it up better because the cab driver understood me.

I'm also including some pictures of the light/water show they have on campus. They do it the evenings-play music and the fountains "dance" to the music and change colors. It's much prettier live than in the pictures.

Water/Light show



Shi Dai shopping center


Meat section at Shi Dai-it's overwhelming-I don't even know where to begin looking for chicken. Then, I get so grossed out looking at the other meats, I figure just forget it. Probably why I haven't had meat since I got here.


My IELTS classroom