Thursday 11 September 2008

Moon Cake Festival

We have a three day weekend due to the Moon Cake Festival. I've asked my students why they celebrate the Moon Cake Festival, but I didn't get many specifics. They said it's a tradition where you bake and eat moon cakes, eat grapes, and spend time with friends and family-sounds good to me. The university gave each of us a nice set of moon cakes-when I first saw some in a grocery store, I couldn't believe how they were elaborately decorated. One of my students also gave me some that his mother made. They look pretty good, I haven't tried any yet, Josh says they're kind of bland, so that sounds like something I may like.

We went to the fabric market yesterday-it was crazy cool. Thousands of different types of material. I wanted material to cover my couch that matched my new rug. I found it, but of course, it was more expensive that most materials. In American money, it was only $10.00 for a large sheet size amount of material, but it was 70 yuan, which Jinjing thought was too pricey. I didn't care, I wanted those colors. While we were walking around-we bought cantaloupe on a stick. They sell it on the street on a stick. Weird, huh? It tasted good and I'm branching out by buying and eating fruit off the street. I also bought frozen chicken strips-I haven't tried them yet, but I'll get brave soon.

I love my IELTS students-they're so sweet. I have my first class tomorrow for juniors writing. This is a big class, so I hope it goes smoothly.

Street market outside the fabric market (Jinjing is in green)


Fabric market-it's huge


My pretty Moon Cake box from the university


My moon cakes from the uni and my student


A home made moon cake!