Thursday 1 February 2007

Uh oh...Yankee behind the wheel

Unfortunately, my notorious driving skills have followed me to England. I got pulled over today, for what I think is equivalent to wreckless driving. Here's the story: after class today, I decided to go back to ASDA. Since, I've learned how to get there, it's actually pretty easy-plus they have more American brands and are cheaper. Anyway, the shopping center is on the right and I enter on the left and you can't turn off the byway unless you go down to the round-about. In case I haven't said this enough-I despise round-abouts with all my heart. The lanes aren't marked on most, I often don't know my exit, and I get honked at if I just drive around it until I figure out my exit. So, I come up on this round-about and think if I want to exit to the left, I should be in the left lane, right? Nope, I was wrong-apparently, I need to be in the right lane. The left lane abruptly exits a different direction. I was worried if I exit some random way, I might get really turned around, so I hurried and cut over into the right lane. I did look beforehand, but I cut off numerous cars (including the officer that stopped me two minutes later) and head towards my exit. However, just before I get there, I get confused. Is this the right exit? I almost pass it and then realize yes that's my exit, so I turn sharply left to exit. Well, that was enough for the cop-he turned on his lights and sirens. Then, instinct took over and I cut across two lanes (I did use my blinker) to pull off to the right side of the road, which was obviously wrong, since I was right by the shoulder on the left. Fortunately, he was very understanding and I didn't even get a paper warning. I also asked him numerous questions about proper etiquette with round-abouts because making up my own rules isn't working.

I was actually really worried when he pulled me over. I know how it's all done in the US, but I was worried he would check my passport or visa. I'm already on thin ice with British Immigration after my fiery entrance into the UK in December and for calling the women immigration officers incompetent. He looked at my US drivers license, but that was it-he didn't even want to see my International Driving Permit (I'm kind of disappointed-all the time it took to get it , I might as well show it off).