Sunday 7 January 2007

I have a British Car!

So, I finally bought and picked up my British car. I picked it up in Scunthorpe, which is about an hour from Leeds, so I had to drive it back with the steering wheel on the right and driving on the opposite side of the road. It is a Nissan Micra-not the most stylish car, but it fits in fine in the UK. It is a cherry red, nice inside-cd player, clean. I made it back to Leeds with few problems-missed my exit, but I was able to turn around easily. However, drove down towards the grocery store and was trying to find Pizza Hut-that was a mess. The street signs are usually on the sides of buildings or on a small sign-hard to catch when you are concentrating on staying on the correct side of the road. Then, there's round-abouts-lots of stress-I can't tell where the lanes are and I didn't know my exit. I did not find Pizza Hut, but I will eventually explore around while driving. Another problem is the left side curb, I keep hitting it. My perception is thrown off driving on the right side of the car-I really need to watch that or I'm going to end up with a flat tyre (that's British spelling of "tire").

Overall, I think it went well. Insurance isn't as expensive as I thought it would be. I had been warned numerous times that insurance was high, but it is similiar in price to the States. I found a full-coverage policy that will cover myself and Josh (in case he wants to drive) and the deductable is only £200.